When cream cheese goes on sale, I start dreaming about these peanut butter brownies. Philadelphia brand cream cheese is close to $1 this week at Shaw’s, so I’ve done more than a little holiday baking. I’ve had a few people ask for this recipe recently, so here you go!
Marbled Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Brownies (adapted from this Allrecipes recipe)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 egg, and milk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, 2 cups white sugar, and vanilla. Mix in the remaining 3 eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; mix into the batter. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Remove 1 cup of the chocolate batter. Spread the remaining batter into the prepared pan. Spread the peanut butter filling over the top. Drop the reserved chocolate batter by teaspoonful over the filling. Using a knife, gently swirl through the top layers for a marbled effect.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out almost clean. Cool completely, then cut into bars.